Friday, March 6, 2009

Parents NEED Sleep!

Gavin has never been a sleeper. Not through the night anyway. It has been this way since he was born. It isn't so bad when he fusses once or twice a night, but I have to say that this week has been the worst! He has very rarely made it through the night with out waking up. In fact I can count those nights on one hand. I am lost for what to try next. We have done what feels like everything. I have googled and read tons of stories of what worked for mothers all over. I used some methods and refused others. The most popular one is the Ferber method. We have tried that a couple of different times through Gavin's little life. And all times I think I have made it about 30 minutes to an hour, with no sign of calming down. But I refuse to let him scream for 3 hours in hope of him giving up. My sanity just can't take it. Maybe it would be easier to try on a weekend when we are not praying that we get enough sleep to function at work.

He is stubborn and I know he gets a little of that from Brian and I.

We have tried putting him to bed a little earlier, then we tried a little later. Already have the routine down of bath, pj's, etc.

Maybe daylight savings time will trick his body this weekend and he will all the sudden sleep through the night like a normal almost 20 month old. Maybe I am crazy for having another baby...but it will be worth it, just right now we are tired.

5 comments:

The Schweitzer Family said...

People say I am crazy and will regret my decision to let Boen sleep with us, but he has slept well from the beginning, just yesterday he slept from 10pm to 10:30am!! I keep him up untill I am ready to go to bed and then will put him in the play pen untill he wakes up (I hear him right away and put him in bed and he falls right back asleep) And we get a full night of sleep>> I know you proly wont do this, but hey if it works on those days when your so tiard you cant stand it???

Vinton and Jodi Johnson said...

Hang in there Gina. Something may trigger his little body and mind to sleep all night long. I can't give you any advice on this one, but just take turns getting up so that you both aren't tired!! Love you and hope your PG is going good!!!

Kristin said...

Gina,
Dalton listens to a "Jesus Loves Me Fast Asleep" CD every night and it works like a dream. He used to crawl into our bed almost every night and since he has started listening to this CD he doesn't anymore. Just an idea that you may want to try. If it doesn't work for Gavin maybe it will work with the new baby! It plays a hearbeat in the background as it sings soothing Jesus songs. Good luck!
Take Care
Kristin

AndreaChad said...

Oh Gina...I have no words of wisdom for you...Calla is a sleeper like her mom! When she does wake up at night (which is not often) I let her cry and don't go in for at least 20 minutes...I am a MEAN MOMMY!!! (unless she has been feeling ill) I hope that Gavin is tricked by the time change tonight and sleeps so that you can get more sleep. Love you!

The Preister's said...

Gina, I am sorry!! I know that can be so stressful...even missing a little sleep can mess with our minds and bodies. When that turns into missing a lot of sleep it is even worse!! Your body is working overtime, so chalk it up to great timing...and jealousy of the baby already?!! :-)

Charli got spoiled with not having to sleep through the night while she was in treatment, but once she was feeling better...and I decided I was seriously going crazy without sleep we had to let her cry it out. It isn't fun, but they have strong wills and won't give up if they know they don't have to!! Whatever you decide works for you will fall into place...sooner rather than later I hope!!
Good luck!!
xoxo